We are seeking volunteer hygienists, therapists or oral health therapists interested in participating in a four month trial program. The program is focused on care of 0-4 year-olds commencing in March.
Our project focus is a primary oral health intervention model of care.
The program will target 0-4 year olds and their parents who attend family centres and local child care centres in Maida Vale and surrounding suburbs.
The aim is to;
- Familiarise parents and children with a community based primary oral health care service.
- Educate parents on the importance of oral care screening, education and primary care dental hygiene clinical services.
- Work in partnership with community services, eg Meerilinga and Child Health Nurse
- Report outcomes in partnership with University of Western Australia researchers, Prof Marc Tennant and Prof Estie Kruger
The program will involve;
- Delivering presentations to parents and their children at targeted locations.
- Practical demonstration of oral care techniques and screening principals for parents.
- Motivational interviewing with parents aimed to increase oral health IQ, including dietary advice.
- Familiarisation sessions for young children introducing dental play and positive dental experiences in a clinical setting. –
- Providing screening services for children from one to four years-old.
- Maintaining dental health for parents through primary care scaling and cleaning.
- Data collection of patient uptake and feedback on the relevance and value given for such a service.