It is with both sadness and gratitude that we announce the resignation of Dr Melanie Hayes (Mel) from the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the DHAA, effective 16 January, 2019.
For almost ten years Mel has been an active member of the DHAA and in that time she has played a critical role in the development, growth and success of the Association. While we will miss her drive and leadership, we wish her the best of luck in her new role as an Interdisciplinary Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney.
We would like to thank Mel for her service over the last 18 months as CEO and her preceding three years as National President. Prior to that she had been both Branch Secretary and Branch President of DHAA NSW before the amalgamation of the DHAA into one entity – a transition that she was a major part of.
Making a big difference
Mel’s years of dedicated service have involved many significant accomplishments, including:
As DHAA National President (2014-17);
- Providing leadership during a period of significant development and growth for the association, including the successful restructure to a single entity;
- Representing the DHAA as an IFDH delegate, and being Chair of the IFDH Education and Research Committee;
- Being the driving force behind the introduction of the professional indemnity insurance package;
- Facilitating the 2017 DHAA Leadership Day;
- Introducing annual reports and better governance practices;
- Working with an industrial relations advocate on maintaining the award-free status of our profession.
As DHAA CEO (2017-19);
- Developing and implementing a range of initiatives, including study clubs, student leadership program, mentoring program, career development program, the new Oral Health Awards, and webinars;
- Facilitating a range of professional promotions, for National Volunteers Week, International Women’s Day and Dental Health Week, to name just a few;
- Improving governance through policy and procedure development, as well as staff performance management;
- Representation of the DHAA in various forums, working groups and committees.
The search for a successor
The DHAA Board has already commenced the search to find a new CEO and an announcement of the replacement will be made in the coming weeks. During this transition period, it is our priority to find the best individual to lead, while still maintaining a stable and effective Association.
Again, we cannot thank Mel enough for her unwavering commitment, passion, enthusiasm and motivation. She will be greatly missed by members, the Board, and industry partners alike. We look forward to following the success of her new career and are hopeful and excited for the next chapter of the DHAA.
If you have any questions or concerns during this transition process, please do not hesitate to contact the DHAA President Cheryl Dey at [email protected]